Summer High School Internship 2017
The High School two week long summer internship in León, Nicaragua encompasses a variety of skills and applications related to youth development in the rural indigenous community of Sutiaba. The dates for the High School Internship are July 9, 2017 to July 22, 2017. High School students will learn how to plan, organize, and implement different youth programs daily including: sports camps, technology workshops, art/music/dance classes, and tutoring classes. Additionally, students will learn how to create marketing materials and utilize social media platforms while implementing these programs.
- Sports Camp: Work directly with VL’s youth and sports coordinator in Goyena. Create a survey and report on the successes, challenges, and participant feedback on VL’s youth soccer league. Identify sports equipment and uniform needs for schools in Goyena. Conduct after school sports training sessions daily with various K-12 schools in Goyena.
- Technology Training: Create a curriculum and run a condensed computer literacy course for youth in the Goyena computer lab daily including training on how to use educational applications on ipads.
- Art, Music, and Dance: Create a curriculum and run either a music, art, or dance workshop series for youth of all ages in the Goyena Madre Tierra Arts Center. Topics should cover basic skills and have a final performance or exhibit for participants to work towards and display to the community at the end of the workshop series.
- Marketing: Identify organizations in Leon/Nicaragua that have partnership potential and compliment VL’s youth programs. Create marketing materials targeted for Leon tourists to participate in VL’s youth programs as volunteers.
- Social Media and Photography: Create high quality photos and videos of VL’s youth programs. Create a daily blog about VL’s youth projects, programs, and community.
- Education: Tutor individual students daily in various K-12 school subjects in the various Goyena schools.
How to apply
Begin by downloading the Internship Guide (Travel packet), and follow instructions. Send your resume and cover letter explaining why you want to intern for ViviendasLeón, and your top two intern position choices. If you are seeking financial assistance for your summer internship in León please include a one page funding request stating why you need funding, how much you are requesting, and what makes you an exceptional candidate for a scholarship.
Fundraising for your trip
Click here to download a fundraising guide